Monday, September 1, 2008

The end of 4-H...

For the last week we've all been talking to Logan about today...the day his lambs 'go away'. He has been telling me that he will be fine & not to worry, but I know Logan too well & know that his heart is WAY too big to not care. The night before Mom took his lambs to the fair, Logan had gone out to feed them & then she couldn't find him. It was dark so she got a flashlight & went looking for him. She found him in the pin with his lambs crying because he was so sad they were leaving. When Mom told me that I knew that today was going to be terrible for him & it was. About 6pm I got the phone call I've been dreading from him. I answered the phone & through his tears & sadness on the other side I heard him say "I'm done, they are gone." My heart ached for him, he was so sad. Between his sobs he told me about their last few minutes together & the last time he petted each of them. By the time I got off the phone with him, tears were running down my cheeks as well. I kept telling him what a great job he did & how proud I am of him for taking such good care of them. Then I told him that in the spring he would get to get 2 more baby lambs, he would get to watch them grow, teach them everything he taught Shorty & Squat & then he would get to take them to the fair again and....then I went blank because at that point we will be in the same situation we are in right now! I've decided that next year I will go to the sale & buy his lamb & give it back to him so he doesn't have to go through this again :)

1 comment:

Thompson Family said...

I was soooo worried about him when I heard he was doing this. My heart breaks for these little guys that put their hearts and soul into their animals and then have to say good-bye (knowing where they are going!). He did so good and of course looked adorable!! I'll pitch in to buy the lambs back next year too :-)